Samsung could be the next giant to drop from smartphone dominance, Motorola’s President and COO, Rick Osterloh has suggested.
With former leaders of the mobile space, Siemens, BlackBerry and Nokia having all drifted into handset obscurity in recent years, Motorola boss Osterloh has predicted the current leaders of the smartphone market could soon follow suit.
Speaking with Forbes, Osterloh reportedly mused ‘Samsung could be next’.
He added: “We are going through one of those fascinating shifts where people are starting to realize that you don’t need to pay $600 for a top-tier phone to get a top-tier experience,” he said. “We are an alternative to other premium brands at a much better value. We are very confident in our approach.”
With Motorola having introduced a number of ‘affordable’ high-end handsets with premium specs sheets in recent years – such as the Moto G – Osterloh believes the market is primed for Motorola to return to former glories.
What’s more, according to the head of the Lenovo-owned firm, China is where the next phase of the smartphone battle is set to be fought.
“You can’t be a global smart phone player if you are not big in China,” he stated.
“We get to take advantage of the vast scale of Lenovo in China. It’s an amazing opportunity for us.”
Related: Motorola Moto X review
Despite Osteloh predicting the fall of Samsung’s smartphone presence, the Samsung Galaxy S6, a handset expected to launch on March 1, is one of the most eagerly awaited devices of the year.
That said, last year’s Galaxy S5 offering suffered from low sales, causing a serious drop in profits for the Korean manufacturer.