A 6-year-old boy has been burned by an exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7, according to a new report.
A child in Brooklyn, New York has “suffered burns” after a Galaxy Note 7 he was using “burst into flames”, as reported by the New York Post. The Post says he was rushed to hospital at 20:00 on Sunday with burns to his body.
“The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded. It set off alarms in my house,” Linda Lewis, the boy’s grandmother, told the Post. She added: “He is home now. He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother."
According to the article, the boy’s family has been in contact with Samsung about the incident, but it’s not clear whether any resolution or settlement has been agreed.
Related: iPhone 8
The news comes around a week after Samsung initiated a global recall of the Galaxy Note 7, citing battery issues. An internal investigation discovered that some batteries were faulty, which created a tangible fire hazard. The investigation was launched after several users reported that their new phones had spontaneously combusted.
Since then, the FAA – America’s airline regulator – has warned Galaxy Note 7 owners against using or charging their phones in airplanes. After that statement was put out, Samsung’s market value plummeted by an incredible $10 billion. It’s believed that a number of airlines have already banned the phone from being used in-flight.
It’s sure to be a huge disappointment for Samsung as the Galaxy Note 7, which only launched last month, landed to extremely positive reviews from critics. The phone followed on from the equally well-received Galaxy S7, but now faces stiff competition from the iPhone 7 Plus, which will be probably be significantly less…fiery?
Related: Samsung Galaxy S8
Watch: iPhone 7 vs Galaxy S7
What would you like to see from the Galaxy Tab S3? Let us know in the comments.