Sony PS4 Update: Firmware leak reveals major new changes to Twitch streaming
Looking for details on the latest Sony PS4 update? We’ve got all the news about upcoming PlayStation 4 software updates for 2017.
Sony Ps4 Update August 2017
It’s believed that Sony is planning to introduce a new firmware update for the PS4 that will add brand new features – including improvements to Twitch streaming.
Eurogamer claims to have obtained a copy of the firmware update 5.0 release notes, which purportedly reveal that the new software will allow PS4 Pro owners to stream via Twitch at 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second.
Other rumoured changes include:
- Ability to follow anyone’s account, instead of just verified accounts (like on Xbox One)
- Follow anyone without needing a friend request to be verified, and without filling up your limit
- You can choose if you only want existing friends or anyone to follow you (you can block users too)
- Expanded range of options for anyone with “sub” or child accounts on home console
- New family accounts will be able to feature multiple adult accounts per family
- Parental controls can be set on per-account basis i.e. different settings for different children
- Requests can be sent to adult accounts on other PS4s to join the same family
- New web app to manage family accounts and access parental controls from PC or smartphone
- System notifications visible from Quick Menu
- Push notifications for events
- Spectator comments on screen while broadcasting in VR mode
- Ability to link broadcasts to a PlayStation Community
- Support for seven more languages: Czech, Thai, Greek, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Romanian, and Hungarian
Unfortunately, it’s not clear when the actual release date will be. Eurogamer says Sony is planning to launch it “in the near future”, alongside a refreshed PlayStation App, but that’s all we know right now.
Sony PS4 Update June 2017
Sony has significantly upgraded the TV and video experience for PlayStation 4 owners in a new software update.
On the official PlayStation blog, Sony announced a new update that makes it easier to watch media content on your PS4. The company has rolled out a new design that puts all of your video and streaming services in one place, and will “help you find your favourites, and discover new and exciting content”.
The blog reads: “Instead of jumping in and out of all your different apps, find the best video on PS4 from one convenient spot.”
It continues: “Whatever your favourite video content – movies or TV, live sports or gaming clips – now you can easily find it on your PlayStation 4.”
Check it out:
The refreshed UI puts all of the video and streaming content into a single folder called TV & Video. There’s now a top row of small icons where you’ll find your apps, but the majority of the page is populated by specific content.
For instance, you’ll see featured (read: recommended) content, as well as service-specific items. In the feature section, you’ll find content from various services, like Now TV or PlayStation Store.
The new refresh will be available in the USA, as well as the following other countries: Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, and Sweden.
Related: Best PS4 games
What else would you like Sony to change about the PlayStation UI? Let us know in the comments.