Nintendo could be preparing to break the silence on its mobile gaming plans by announcing the first title next week, according to reports.
News on the game and which Nintendo characters it will feature could arrive “within the next few days,” according to industry analysts close to the Wall Street Journal.
The WSJ says the announcement could be made to tie in with the company’s earnings report on October 28, where Nintendo is expected to update its investors on the strategy.
Nintendo, for what it’s worth, is refusing to comment on the speculation.
The collection of mobile games, whatever form they take, will be the result of a partnership with DeNA, a Japanese mobile games developer.
Nintendo announced the deal in March, but has stayed mum on whether the games will feature iconic characters like Mario, Link and others from the canon.
Analyst Atul Goyal at Jefferies & Co said: “
The company has also invested in Niantic, a Google spin-off company that specialises in augmented reality. Niantic is developing Pokemon Go where gamers will be able to ‘catch ’em all’ in the real world.
Related: 5 Things Nintendo needs to do for mobile success
One thing we shouldn’t expect to hear about at Nintendo’s earnings call next week is the NX console, which is expected to be revealed in 2016.
The WSJ reiterated last week’s reports the console is expected to offer both home and handheld elements. An SDK for the console is now in the hands of select third-party developers.