It was only a matter of time until Android Wear would be updated for Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Google has started rolling out Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23) for Android Wear.
The first watch to receive the update is the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE.
Regarding other Android Wear watches, a Google blog post explains:
“Currently, all other Android Wear watches implement API 22, and in the coming months, these will receive an OTA update for API 23 as well.”
Related: Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update: When will my phone get it?
What’s new with Android Wear API 23?
The API 23 SDK brings a number of changes to Android Wear, including:
- New runtime permissions model for phones and watches, which let users pick and choose permissions at time of use
- Easier to build apps for both round and square Android Wear watches
- Sounds can now be added to Wear app, audio files can be played using standard Android APIs
- Support for Intel x86, ahead of upcoming Intel x86 Android Wear watches like the TAG Heuer Connected
- New and updated emulator images for API 23 and x86 watches, now available to download from SDK Manager
Check out our Android Marshmallow features video guide below: