Delete TikTok: How to delete a TikTok account permanently
TikTok’s popularity shows little sign of slowing down anytime soon, with the social media sensation regularly appearing near the summit of various app store downloads charts. But questions are now being asked about the app and its treatment of users’ data. Reddit CEO Steve Huffman has even gone as far as labelling it “spyware”. If you’re looking to delete TikTok, read on for a full list of instructions.
How to delete TikTok
- Tap the ‘Me’ button to go to your profile
- Tap the Settings button
- Tap ‘Manage My Account’
- Hit the ‘Delete Account’ button that appears at the bottom of the screen
The app will then ask you to complete an SMS verification, which relies on a code being texted to you phone. Once your code arrives, you’ll have to enter it into the app within five minutes. Wait any longer than that and it will expire.
Before completing the process, you should read through the final confirmation page. This explains that if you delete Tiktok:
- You’ll no longer be able to log in to TikTok with this account
- You’ll lose access to any videos you’ve posted
- You won’t be able to get a refund on anything you’ve bought through the app
- Other users may still be able to view data that isn’t stored in your account, such as chat messages you’ve sent
If you still want to press ahead after reading through the confirmation page, tap the red ‘Delete Account’ button, and hit ‘Delete’ on the popup message.
Your account will first be deactivated, and after 30 days it will be deleted.
Related: What is TikTok?