Google’s new smartphone is chock full of features, but this probably wasn’t intended…
The owner of a Nexus 5X claims his smartphone “melted itself” in his pocket.
The puzzled user, who posted his story on Reddit, says the phone started “heating up” and “burned a hole in itself”.
Here’s a picture of the device:
Image credit: /r/AFChimpanse
“I was just standing outside when I suddenly felt it heating up in my pocket; I took it out super confused as I felt it heat up further,” writes Redditor /r/AFCimpanse.
He continues: “It then started to have a low frizzling sound and smelling extremely toxic.
“When I picked it up again, I noticed the hole/melted plastic…slightly above to the right of the LG Logo.”
The unfortunate owner says he had only had the device for about 11 days.
What’s more, he purports to have never used any third-party chargers, nor was the device plugged in at the time of the incident.
A normal Nexus 5X rear
Related: Best Android Smartphones 2015
Google launched the Nexus 5X earlier this year, building the new smartphone in collaboration with South Korean technology giant LG.
The handset has a 5.2-inch display, a Snapdragon 808 processor built by Qualcomm, and a 12.3-megapixel rear-facing camera.
We gave the Nexus 5X an 8/10 score in our review, praising its unskinned Android Marshmallow operating system, the decent screen, good performance, and impressive build quality.
Have you ever had a smartphone melt, catch fire, or explode? Let us know in the comments.