How to access the Black Ops 3 multi-player beta on PS4
The Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 multi-player beta is available to download now on PS4.
It begins today, on 19 August, and runs until 23 August. Further information will be given to players throughout the week.
However, there’s a catch.
To access the Black Ops 3 multi-player beta, you need a code, and the only way to get one – yes, you've guessed it – is to pre-order Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 on PS4.
Each retailer has a limited supply of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 beta access codes, so they’re available only while stocks last – so move fast if you want one.
Once you have the beta code, to redeem it simply head over to the Call of Duty website and follow the instructions to gain access to the multi-player beta on your PS4.
You’ll need to log in with a Call of Duty account and enter your beta code. You’ll then be emailed a token that will allow you to download the beta on the PS4.
If you pre-order your copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 through the PlayStation Store, you’re automatically validated to participate in the Black Ops 3 beta and can download it right now.
The beta file size is around 12.5GB.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 mutli-player beta – Modes, Maps and Specialists
The Black Ops 3 multi-player beta includes the following game modes:
- Team Deathmatch
- Kill Confirmed
- Capture the Flag
- Search and Destroy
You’ll be able to play those game modes on the following maps.
- Hunted – You play in a big game hunting lodge seated beneath a waterfall in Ethiopia. In this mountainous landscape, rugged terrain suddenly opens up to long sightlines and an underwater pathway that you can use to get one up on your enemies.
- Combine – This map is set in the remote Egyptian Sahara. It's located on a vertical farming and sustainability facility with tight interior corridors, an open middle and some flank paths.
- Evac – In the middle of Singapore’s flooded quarantine zone is an abandoned emergency evacuation zone atop an overgrown rooftop. This is Evac.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 introduces Specialists into multi-player for the first time. These are elite soldiers, each with their own look, personality, weapons and abilities.
Take a look at the Specialists you’ll be able to play in the multi-player beta, as described by developer Treyarch.
- Battery – Battery operates ahead of the front lines. Her War Machine fires salvos of bouncing grenades, while her Kinetic Armor can deflect enemy bullets when active… although she remains vulnerable to headshots and non-bullet damage.
- Ruin – A reckless infantry soldier who prefers to surprise his enemies. He rushes into battle with his Overdrive ability, and can deliver a devastating shockwave with his Gravity Spikes.
- Outrider – A hunter-tracker who stalks her prey from afar before moving in for the kill. Use her Vision Pulse ability to reveal the location of nearby enemies, or her Sparrow compound bow with its deadly explosive bolts.
- Prophet – Prefers to disrupt opponents’ tactics before moving in for the kill. His Tempest is a charge-shot weapon that delivers chain electricity to all nearby enemies. He can confuse enemies with his Glitch ability, which flashes him back to a previous position.
- Seraph – Known for extreme focus and discipline in combat. Her high-caliber Annihilator revolver fires powerful rounds with increased bullet penetration taking out enemies with one shot. She’s also able to earn Scorestreaks more quickly using her Combat Focus ability, which triggers a brief bonus multiplier.
- Nomad – Prefers to turn the environment against his enemies. Case in point: His H.I.V.E. weapon, which deploys trap pods filled with deadly nano-drones. When near death, Nomad can recover using his Rejack ability.
You'll be able to use Create-A-Class in the beta for customisable loadouts, along with the Weapon Paintship to create custom graphics.
The level cap is set at 28 initially, but that will rise over the course of the beta.
However, your progress will not carry over from the beta to the full game when it's released later this year.
“Treyarch’s focus is making the final game the best and most stable experience it can be and they will be working on balancing and other fixes leading up to launch.”
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is coming to PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC on 6 November.