OnePlus has offered an apology over the frustrating launch of its second and latest smartphone, the OnePlus 2.
The Chinese manufacturer managed to produce a considerable improvement to last year’s OnePlus One phone, but it continues to struggle with the supply side of things.
Prior to release, OnePlus was confident that the troubles associated with its last launch would be lessened significantly through the preparation of “a lot more inventory.” A confident OnePlus told its users that it would be 30 to 50 times easier to secure an invite.
It hasn’t quite proved to be that simple. The OnePlus 2 launch on July 28, and shipments were supposed to start rolling out a month ago. Yet as the company admits, the OnePlus 2 actually only started shipping in meaningful quantities this week.
This has prompted the company to issue an apology.
“To our fans, sorry,” reads the forum post. “We were equally excited when we saw your excitement around the OnePlus 2. We know how it feels waiting and waiting for something you really want, while being given ETAs that go unfulfilled.”
The post goes on to apologise to OnePlus’s partners, admitting that “We like to think that what we lack in experience can be made up for in hard work and invested hours, but this time that was not the case.”
Finally, the post apologises to the OnePlus team itself. “This delay has brought huge opportunity cost upon our OnePlus,” it says. “It has shortened the product life cycle of the OnePlus 2, as well as caused huge reputational damage to our company.”
Related: OnePlus 2 vs Samsung Galaxy S6
The conclusion is that “hardware is hard,” but that ultimately the company “simply messed up again.”
To make up for these delays, the company is considering opening up sales for an hour some time over the next month or so.
Next, take a look at our OnePlus 2 hands-on video: