Own a OnePlus 5? We’ve got all the details about what you can expect from the next major OnePlus 5 update.
OnePlus has built up a fine reputation for releasing regular updates (and being very transparent about them), which is partly why the company has such a loyal fanbase. If you own a OnePlus 5, you’ll be pleased to hear that the next update brings some pretty useful updates, so read on for all the latest news.
OnePlus 5 Update: When is the next software update?
The company has confirmed that the next version of OxygenOS for the OnePlus 5 has already begun, with the rollout kicking off on July 31, 2017.
If you’re not sure if you’ve already received it, the new version is OxygenOS 4.5.7. It will arrive over-the-air (OTA) once your network carrier has given it the all-clear.
A statement from a OnePlus spokesperson reads: “The OTA will reach a small percentage of users today, and we’ll begin a broader rollout in a few days.”
OnePlus 5 Update: What’s new in the next version of OxygenOS?
The headline addition to OxygenOS in the latest version is the addition of EIS for 4K video recording.
EIS stands for Electronic Image Stabilisation, and is a digital technique to improve photographs using electronic processing. The EIS system will compensate for movements in your device when taking photos, thus minimising the amount of blurring on the final product. So if you’re shooting in glorious 4K, it’s a great bonus feature to have.
The update will also introduce standby battery enhancements, which OnePlus says are part of their “on-going optimisations of the OnePlus 5’s battery life”.
Here’s the full list of changes for OxygenOS 4.5.7:
- Introducing the all-new OnePlus Slate font
- Added EIS for 4K video recording
- Updated Android security patch level to July 1, 2017
- Updated to latest GMS package
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements
- Smoother automatic backlight adjustment
- Standby battery enhancements
- Fixed sound being played out in the speakers occasionally when earphones are plugged in
- Fixed camera shutter sound bug in silent mode for Indian region
- Fixed missing sound channels when recording videos
Related: Best Android phones
What do you think of the OnePlus 5? Let us know in the comments.