Want more Fortnite content? Turn on 2FA for a free emote
Fortnite’s popularity has made it a top target for cybercriminals looking to make a quick buck. In an effort to improve the security of its users, Epic Games is offering a free emote to every player that turns on two-factor authentication, which is win-win as far as we’re concerned.
Two factor authentication most commonly takes the form of a six-digit code which is emailed or texted to you when you want to log into an online account. It essentially means that only someone with access to your phone on email can sign into your account; just having your username and password isn’t enough.
Related: Internet security guide
2FA works. Earlier this year Google reported that it made it compulsory for every one of its 85,000 employees and has seen incidents of successful phishing attacks reduced to near zero.
So enabling it was already a no-brainer if you want to keep your Epic Games account secure from hackers, and now you get a free emote as an extra bonus.
How to enable two-factor authentication in Fortnite
If you want to get the charming emote, then it’s a fairly simple process to enable two-factor authentication on your account.
- Epic Games accounts support two different kinds of two-factor authentication; authenticator apps and emails. We’re going to use an authenticator app because it’s more secure than email, and will also work if you don’t have an active internet connection.
- First, download the authenticator app from your relevant app store. We like Duo, but Google Authenticator is also a great option.
- With the app downloaded, head to the ‘Password & Security’ tab of your Epic Games account.
- Scroll down to the ‘Two-Factor Authentication’ section, and click ‘Enable Authenticator App’.
- You’ll be shown a QR code on the screen. Open up your authenticator app on your phone and click the plus symbol to add a new account. This will open up your phone’s camera, which you can then use to scan the QR code on your computer screen.
- Now, enter the six-digit code that your app generates onto your online account on your computer.
- That’s it! You’ve now enabled 2FA on your Epic Games account, and you can now enjoy your free emote.
Now that you’ve got an authenticator app installed on your phone, why not secure your other most important accounts such as Google, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon? Go on, it only takes a second.
Which two-factor authentication app do you prefer? Let us know @TrustedReviews.