- Page 1 AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Review
- Page 2 AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Review
- Page 3 Gaming Review
- Page 4 Video Encoding Review
- Page 5 3D Rendering Review
- Page 6 Image Editing and File Compression Review
- Page 7 MP3 Encoding Review
- Page 8 Power Usage, Overclocking, Value, Verdict Review
Ah, encoding MP3s. No matter how many advances there have been in audio formats and even with the proliferation of online music services, encoding our audio CDs into MP3s is still a stalwart of a computer’s regular tasks. So, let’s see how the Phenom II holds up.
”’Singe-track, single-thread encoding”’
It’s the way it always used to be done. One track after another until the album’s finished. For this test we encode 11 tracks using the LAME encoder.
A slight improvement over single threaded encoding, this method will take advantage of multiple cores for each track it is currently encoding. This test encodes the same 11 tracks and uses the multi-threaded version of LAME.
Finally, we have the quickest method; encoding as many mp3s at once as there are cores. We used DBPowerAmp to manage the batch processing of the same 11 tracks.
Wow, now that’s an improvement! The first two tests show a similar trend as all our other tests but the last one is really nice to see.