Using Galaxy Note 7 with Gear VR could blow up in your face, Oculus warns
Oculus has warned Gear VR owners not to put the Galaxy Note 7 – a gadget with a knack for exploding – centimeters from your eyeballs
In light of the Galaxy Note 7 recall due to faulty batteries, the VR giant has told buyers to wait for their replacement before using the new Gear VR.
“Samsung has issued a product exchange program for all Note 7 devices due to battery issues,” Oculus wrote on the Gear VR website (via GSMArena).
Related: Galaxy Note 7 recall FAQ: What we know
The company has also sent out an email to those who’ve purchased the Gear VR, which it made in collaboration with Samsung.
While most Note 7 buyers are probably expressing some prudence, Oculus is likely just covering its tracks from a legal perspective.
A battery blowing up while charging is one thing, but a battery exploding while so close to the eyes would likely cause very serious injury.
The recall is a huge blow to Samsung, with reports claiming the recall could cost the firm up to $1 billion.
That, of course, doesn’t take into account the number of folks who might now choose an iPhone 7 Plus instead.