Second person reportedly electrocuted by charging iPhone
A 30-year-old man in China has reportedly become the second person in a matter of days to have been severely electrocuted by a charging iPhone.
Said to have been in a coma for 10 days, the man is reported to have been charging his iPhone 4 with a third-party charger earlier this month when he received a serious electric shock. Earlier this week it was announced that a Chinese woman had died after been electrocuted by a charging iPhone 5.
According to reports from the Beijing Evening News, a Mr Wu Jian Tong was “suddenly shocked” by his iPhone 4 when attempting to plug it in to charge using a “counterfeit” charger. The Chinese government recently warned residents over the risks of a recent raft of potentially questionable third-party smartphone accessories that have been doing the rounds in the country.
A translation of reports has suggested that Mr Wu shouted “I’m getting shocked” as he connected his phone and was round unresponsive and not breathing when attended to by medical teams at the scene. Having required CPR, Wu is said to have been in a coma for ten days.
With the man’s doctor quoted as stating:
Describing how she attempted to unplug the device, she said: “I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot.”
On Monday it emerged a 23-year-old woman had died last month after trying to make a call using her charging iPhone 5.
In an official statement earlier this week, Apple confirmed that it would fully cooperate and work with authorities to help investigate the claims of the iPhone electrocutions.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” an official spokesperson for the iPad mini manufacturer stated. “We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.”
Read More: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4
Via: Apple Insider