Samsung has stopped production of the Galaxy Note 7 entirely, according to a new report.
South Korean news agency Yonhap has claimed that local tech giant Samsung has halted manufacturing of its latest flagship smartphone, citing an unnamed source. The decision has reportedly been made in response to new reports of exploding Galaxy Note 7 handsets, affecting both new and replaced devices.
Samsung hasn’t confirmed whether manufacturing has actually stopped, but in a statement to the BBC, the company said it was “adjusting the production schedule to ensure quality and safety matters”.
Two US networks have already stopped carrying the handset. AT&T says it won’t replace devices, while T-Mobile issued the following statement: “While Samsung investigates multiple reports of issues, T-Mobile is temporarily suspending all sales of the new Note 7 and exchanges for replacement Note 7 devices.”
Samsung originally issued a global recall for the Galaxy Note 7 on September 2, after an internal investigation uncovered a serious battery flaw that was causing some users’ handsets to spontaneously catch fire. Since then, the company has been mired by reports of replaced handsets catching fire too.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was announced on August 2, and features a 5.7-inch QHD display, 64GB storage, and a 3,500mAh battery. We gave the phone a 9/10 score when it launched (prior to the battery woes), praising its screen, camera, S-Pen, water-resistance, and battery life.
Related: Samsung Galaxy S8
Watch: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
What do you think of the Galaxy Note 7 fire fiasco? Let us know in the comments below.