OnePlus has released a new beta version of Oxygen OS – its Android skin – and along with a brand-new interface, it aims to solve problems with instant messaging, file management and overheating.
Read on for everything you need to know about it, including what’s new and which phones are compatible.
Read more: Best smartphone
XDA Developers has published the full changelog for this new beta software release, which includes:
- Display overheating device warning
- New UI for system update
Quick reply in landscape
- Supported more IM APPs for Quick Reply in landscape
- Apps don’t get paused when using quick reply in landscape
- Optimised search experience by adding search field, and grouping search results in different categories
- Redesigned social page UI
- Optimised log recording in bug report section
File Manager (only for OnePlus 6/6T)
- Added the Intelligent cleanup feature
Oxygen OS is well known for having an efficient, stripped-down feel similar to stock Android, and so these minimalist touches aren’t a surprise. Below are images of the new interface before and after the update:
The new UI does look cleaner and the tweaks to performance should be improvements provided they work as intended.
Related: OnePlus 7 Pro review
- OnePlus 5 (Open Beta 31)
- OnePlus 5T (Open Beta 29)
- OnePlus 6 (Open Beta 17)
- OnePlus 6T (Open Beta 9)
To download the new Oxygen OS beta you have to be a member of OnePlus’ Open Beta Program. Membership allows you to try out the latest operating system releases before other customers and you can give your feedback to the developers (via the OnePlus Community app) so they can fix any blips before working it into the official new software.
What features of the new Oxygen OS beta are you most excited about? Let us know on Twitter at @TrustedReviews.