The Oscars 2020 are almost here. The biggest names in cinema are all hoping to scoop some of the industry’s biggest awards in a huge global event. Our guide tells you how to watch the awards on any device, wherever you are.
1917 and its cast and crew seem to be favourites in the majority of categories, with Sam Mendes likely to take the Best Director award. There’s plenty of close competition though, with the likes of The Joker, Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood all in the hat.
Oscars 2020 UK time and US times
- The 92nd Academy Awards will take place in California, at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre.
- For UK-based viewers, the ceremony will get underway at 1am GMT on Monday, February 10.
- In the US, the ceremony will be broadcast at 5pm PT and 8pm E on Sunday, February 9.
How to watch the Oscars 2020 online, wherever you are
- In the UK, Sky customers will be able to stream the awards on the Sky Go app. Simply login using your Sky ID.
- In the US, viewers with subscriptions to Hulu, Live TV and AT&T Now can stream the awards show via ABC.com or on the ABC app, however viewers have to prove they have a relevant subscription. Please double check with your provider if you are included.
- For everywhere else, if you’re unsure if you can use these streaming options in your region, a VPN could be the best workaround.That’s because access to normal coverage might be geo-blocked – that is, you may be prevented from watching outside your home country, usually due to rights reasons.VPNs encrypt and anonymise your data and enable you to appear as if you are watching from your home country, so they are useful for much more than entertainment. We’ve tested 18 of the most reliable VPNs – see our guide to the best VPNs to help you out. Or you can find out more about the top 4 in our comparison table below. We’ve found three good VPN deals which should get you started, which we’ve featured below. In our testing these have usually provided good value VPN access for a wide range of services. Or scroll down for our pick of the top 4 in our VPN tests.
Best VPNs For Streaming
No.1 trusted VPN on the market, with unrestricted access to Netflix, HBO and iPlayer. Get 49% off on their one year subscription and receive a further three months completely free.
NordVPN is one of the fastest and most secure VPN services with unlimited and private P2P. Pay for a 3 year subscription and save 75%.
Proton VPN is one of the newer VPNs on the market. It has a strong focus on privacy and has a verified no logging claim. Sign up for as little as $4 a month and save up to $72 on your yearly bill.
Oscars 2020 UK TV channel
The ceremony will be available to watch live on an all-new dedicated Sky channel − Sky Cinema Oscars.
You can get Sky Cinema for a great price, with Sky Entertainment channels included, in this new deal. It’s just £3.99 to get one month of access to a huge entertainment library.
Oscars 2020 preview
So, who’s going to win? Here’s a quick breakdown of each category, letting you know who the critics are expecting to take home the Oscar.
Best picture nominees: 1917, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Little Women, Marriage Story, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite, Ford v Ferrari
1917 seems to be the favourite to take the biggest prize and win Best Picture. Sam Mendes’ stylistic WWI thriller has wowed audiences and critics alike, and Mendes himself is no stranger to awards season success. 1917 picked up the BAFTA for Best Film last weekend.
Parasite is an outsider that many are backing to win a surprise victory. It grabbed a BAFTA too, picking up ‘Best film not in the English language’.
Best director nominees: Bong Joon-ho (Parasite), Sam Mendes (1917), Todd Phillips (The Joker), Martin Scorsese (The Irishman), Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).
Again, Sam Mendes seems to be the favourite and picked up the equivalent BAFTA, but Parasite director Bong Joon-ho could be in with an outside chance. Really, there’s an argument to be made for any of the nominees here though arguably The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood have been seen as slightly self-indulgent works from their respective directors.
Best actor nominees: Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), Adam Driver (Marriage Story), Joaquin Phoenix (The Joker), Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory), Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes).
It’s hard not to see Joaquin Phoenix picking up the best actor award. Again, he got his hands on the equivalent at the BAFTAs and made a remarkable speech afterwards, about making the film industry more inclusive.
Best actress nominees: Cynthia Erivo (Harriet), Renee Zellweger (Judy), Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story), Charlize Theron (Bombshell), Saoirse Ronan (Little Women).
Among some huge names in this lineup, Zellweger has been collecting a lot of best actress awards recently. She did so again at the weekend, grabbing the BAFTA and has to be the favourite here as a result. Saoirse Ronan has been nominated for the same award twice in recent years, with stand out performances in Brooklyn and Lady Bird. She will hope to go one better this year but is arguably an outsider.
Compare our top 4 recommended VPNs
|ExpressVPN||Private Internet Access (PIA)||Windscribe||Cyberghost|
|Verdict||Read our review||Read our review||Read our review||Read our review|
|Price||From £6.68/month||From £2.74/month||From $3.70 (£2.80)/month||From £2.10/month|
|(1 year)||(6 months)||(1 year)||(1 year)|
|Best for||Privacy & international streaming||Security||Streaming and price||Easy to use, international coverage|
|Compatibility||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Kindle Fire, Fire TV||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, Chrome, Firefox, Opera||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS|
|Disclaimer||We recommend VPNs for legal uses only. Streaming services should only be used within the terms of and conditions of the services. We do not approve illegal or unethical uses of VPN services, including piracy.|
|More info?||Read all our Best VPN recommendations|