large image

Trusted Reviews is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

Omate X stylish and affordable smartwatch announced

Omate has announced the Omate X smartwatch, a decidedly more stylish yet eminently affordable follow-up to last year’s Omate TrueSmart.

The aforementioned Kickstarter-funded TrueSmart was designed as a rugged all-action smartwatch for active users, and didn’t require an accompanying smartphone to operate. The Omate X looks to be a different proposition altogether.

This time, the Omate X appears to be selling itself on its classy looks, no-nonsense operation, and wallet-friendly price tag. It’s also a companion smartwatch that requires either an iPhone or an Android phone to operate.

As Omate says on its Facebook page: “The TrueSmart was designed for the 10% of our time during of which we partake in outdoor activities. Now, I am pleased to announce our new model – the Omate X – which will take care of the other 90%.”

This entails making the Omate X a whole lot prettier than the plastic Omate TrueSmart. It’s got a premium metal look and feel, along with leather straps that can be swapped out.

The interface is similarly sleek, with simple notifications for incoming messages, calls, social media updates, and reminders. It hooks up to your phone over Bluetooth 4.0.

On the spec front, you get a 1.54-inch 240 x 240 display, a MediaTek ARM7-based processor (which Omate claims is the “world’s smallest wearable system on a chip”), and a 400mAh battery.

Talking of the battery ,Omate claims that the Omate X is good for a week of usage between charges – a massive advantage, and all because it keeps things simple.

All of this, and the Omate X will only cost $129 (roughly £78) when it launches. You can pre-order the smartwatch on the Omate website between September 1 and September 30, and the first 1,000 to sign up will get a limited edition serial number engraved on their watch.

The Omate X should get an official unveiling – hopefully along with a solid release date – on September 1.

Via: SlashGear

Why trust our journalism?

Founded in 2004, Trusted Reviews exists to give our readers thorough, unbiased and independent advice on what to buy.

Today, we have millions of users a month from around the world, and assess more than 1,000 products a year.

author icon

Editorial independence

Editorial independence means being able to give an unbiased verdict about a product or company, with the avoidance of conflicts of interest. To ensure this is possible, every member of the editorial staff follows a clear code of conduct.

author icon

Professional conduct

We also expect our journalists to follow clear ethical standards in their work. Our staff members must strive for honesty and accuracy in everything they do. We follow the IPSO Editors’ code of practice to underpin these standards.