Full Metal Jacket and the other films Netflix was forced to remove
Netflix has disclosed the films it was instructed to remove from its library after objections from the governments around the world
The company says nine specific titles and episodes have been axed in various territories due to government takedown demands. Titles removed from the service include Night of The Living Dead in Germany, because there’s a version of the film that’s banned in Germany.
In 2017, the company also removed Full Metal Jacket from the Vietnamese library due to objections. To be honest, we can see whether they were coming from on that one. An episode of Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj was removed in Saudi Arabia, because it was about Saudi Arabia – despicable human rights record, ‘n all.
Related: How to find 4K content on Netflix
The admission comes in Netflix’s first ever Environmental Social Governance report, in which it aims to be transparent about how it handles attempts to censor content. This isn’t something we’ve commonly seen from content providers, so it’s refreshing.
Netflix says it only takes down the protested film or TV show if there’s a written government request and will work with the authorities to keep the show online. Here’s the list of nine items removed from the series over the years (via Axios):
• In 2015, we complied with a written demand from the New Zealand Film and Video Labeling Body to remove The Bridge from the service in New Zealand only. The film is classified as “objectionable” in the country.
• In 2017, we complied with a written demand from the Vietnamese Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information (ABEI) to remove Full Metal Jacket from the service in Vietnam only.
• In 2017, we complied with a written demand from the German Commission for Youth Protection (KJM) to remove Night of the Living Dead from the service in Germany only. A version of the film is banned in the country.
• In 2018, we complied with a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove Cooking on High, The Legend of 420, and Disjointed from the service in Singapore only.
• In 2019, we complied with a written demand from the Saudi Communication and Information Technology Commission to remove one episode—“Saudi Arabia”—from the series Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj from the service in Saudi Arabia only.
• In 2019, we received a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Temptation of Christ from the service in Singapore only. The film is banned in the country.
• In 2020, we complied with a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Hangover from the service in Singapore only.
We really wish the company would remove the newest series of Arrested Development so we could pretend it never happened.