large image

Trusted Reviews is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

Microsoft and Square Enix are “very happy” with Rise of the Tomb Raider

Microsoft and Square Enix are “very happy” with Rise of the Tomb Raider, despite reported sales figures.

Many have shown over concern over the sales performance of Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is currently exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Lara’s latest adventure launched alongside the likes of Fallout 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 back in November.

Game director Brian Horton recently replied to fans in the Tomb Raider forums, offering reassurance to players.

Horton did not specifically mention any sales numbers, but believes the reported numbers “reflect poorly” on developer Crystal Dynamics.

“I didn’t mean to go off topic or patronise, but there was suggestion in the thread that the reported sales numbers reflect poorly on the dev team,” Horton wrote.

“Square/Microsoft are happy with Crystal and Eidos Montreal and the game itself. As to the topic of sales, I’m unqualified to discuss it so I won’t have anything else to say on this thread.”

Related: Best Games of 2015

Horton went on to say that Microsoft and Square Enix are “very happy” with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and look forward to this week’s Game Awards.

Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team, thanks for the concerns. Crystal and Eidos Montreal made a game we are proud of and we appreciate the overwhelming number of positive reviews and fan feedback.”

“We’re looking forward to the Game Awards next week where we are nominated for Best Action Adventure and Best Performance for Camilla. Wish us luck, hopefully it’s just the beginning of the recognition Tomb Raider and Lara Croft receives this year.”

Related: PS4 vs Xbox One

85 percent of copies were sold on Xbox One, with the remaining 15 percent selling on the 360.

Rise of the Tomb Raider faced an abundance of competition upon release, facing up against the likes of FIFA 16, Fallout 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.

The title is also coming to PS4 and PC, but not until later in 2016 due to an exclusivity deal with Microsoft.

In our 9/10 review, we said “Rise of the Tomb Raider takes everything that was successful in the 2013 reboot, including its stunning graphics and reimagined Lara, and takes it one step further.”

Why trust our journalism?

Founded in 2004, Trusted Reviews exists to give our readers thorough, unbiased and independent advice on what to buy.

Today, we have millions of users a month from around the world, and assess more than 1,000 products a year.

author icon

Editorial independence

Editorial independence means being able to give an unbiased verdict about a product or company, with the avoidance of conflicts of interest. To ensure this is possible, every member of the editorial staff follows a clear code of conduct.

author icon

Professional conduct

We also expect our journalists to follow clear ethical standards in their work. Our staff members must strive for honesty and accuracy in everything they do. We follow the IPSO Editors’ code of practice to underpin these standards.