Apple has finally revealed how much it will charge to repair an iPhone X if you’ve broken the screen, and it’s very costly indeed.
We’ve all met someone who has smashed a smartphone and attempted to get it repaired, only to be greeted with an extortionate repair bill. As handsets use increasingly valuable components, it’s becoming more and more costly to fix things when they go wrong.
Enter the iPhone X, Apple’s new handset with a premium OLED screen that covers almost all of the device’s face. It’s a high-resolution panel that’s very costly to produce, so ever since the announcement, we’ve been bracing ourselves for a lofty repair fee.
- Buy now: iPhone X (10GB) on EE £42.99/month & £289.99 upfront
- Buy now: iPhone X (25GB) on EE £47.99/month & £279.99 upfront
- Buy now: iPhone X (8GB) on Three £57/month & free upfront
Apple hasn’t disappointed. In a newly updated service page on its website, Apple has revealed that the cost of fixing the screen on an iPhone X is £286.44. That’s a huge fee, especially when you consider that you’ve already paid out between £999 and £1,149 for the handset itself.
Worse still, it’s by far the highest screen repair charge we’ve seen for an iPhone. The next most expensive model is the iPhone 8 Plus at £176.44 for a screen repair.
Apple has also revealed that the cost of fixing “other damage” on the phone is as high as £556.44, so you really want to make sure you look after your iPhone X if you buy one.
Below you’ll find the latest pricing sheet for Apple iPhone screen repairs. The number on the left is the screen repair fee, while the number on the right is the “other damage” fee. All prices include VAT and a £7.44 shipping fee.
- iPhone X – £286.44 / £556.44
- iPhone 8 Plus – £176.44 / £406.44
- iPhone 8 – £156.44 / £356.44
- iPhone 7 Plus – £176.44/ £356.44
- iPhone 7 – £156.44 / £326.44
- iPhone 6S Plus – £176.44 / £336.44
- iPhone 6S – £156.44 / £306.44
- iPhone 6 Plus – £156.44 / £336.44
- iPhone 6 – £136.44 / £306.44
- iPhone SE – £136.44 / £255.44
- iPhone 5S – £136.44 / £255.44
- iPhone 5C – £136.44 / £255.44
- iPhone 5 – £136.44 / £255.44
Furthermore, Apple says those screen repair prices only apply if:
- You need to replace your screen due to accidental damage or mishandling. Accidental damage isn’t covered by the Apple warranty
- Your iPhone screen gets broken while it’s still under warranty and you don’t have AppleCare+ coverage
- Your screen stops working and your iPhone isn’t covered by the Apple warranty, consumer law, or AppleCare+
It’s also worth noting that although Apple will offer the above prices, other service providers can charge more.
Related: iPhone 9
Do you think Apple’s screen repair fees are fair? Let us know via Facebook or tweet us @TrustedReviews.