The fifth version of the forthcoming iOS 11.2 update is now available for iPhones enrolled in Apple’s Beta Software Program – and it brings a number of neat new features to the table, including AirPlay 2.
The most notable addition is Apple Pay Cash, the firm’s iMessage-based peer-to-peer payment system, which is expected to rival the likes of PayPal, Skrill and Venmo when it (eventually) launches worldwide.
iOS 11.2 also increases the wireless charging limit on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and flagship iPhone X from 5 to 7.5 watts, yielding a marginally faster charging speed – but it’s still nothing to write home about.
Related: iPhone X
It’s thought that the bulk of the changes included in the release have been designed to improve the performance of the operating system – and that’s reflected in a Geekbench test the folks over at iDownloadBlog ran.
An iPhone X with the fifth preview build of iOS 11.2 installed scored 4,157 in the single-core and 10,088 in the multi-core test, while an identical unit running the previous build clocked in at 3,954 and 8,432, respectively.
Here’s the official changelog:
- Apple Pay Cash – a quick peer-to-peer payments system that works through the iMessage app
- Faster wireless charging for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X (7.5W)
- Early AirPlay 2 support
- New Control Center indicator on iPhone X
- Tweaked emoji
- iPhone 8 and iPhone X marketing wallpapers available on older phones
- New iPhone X Live wallpapers
- “Now Playing” option for controlling content on the Apple TV in Control Center
- Control Center info cards for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles
- Bug fix for Calculator app
- A feature that lets developers add introductory pricing for subscription apps
We don’t know when Apple is planning to start rolling out the final version of iOS 11.2, but it’s safe to say it will have completed its rollout by the time Christmas Day comes around. Nothing’s set in stone, though.
- Buy Now: iPhone 7 at Amazon for £539 – SAVE £10
- Buy Now: iPhone 7 Plus at Amazon for £649 – SAVE £20
Are you excited for the upcoming release of iOS 11.2? Will you be taking advantage of Apple Pay Cash? Be sure to let us know over on Facebook or Twitter @TrustedReviews.