Gates Admits To Possible Vista Delays

Like you ever expected it to be remotely on time...

It has been a fun 24 hours for Microsoft. First it is slammed (well, gently tickled) by a 280.5m euro fine then Gatesy has to admit there are further doubts surrounding Vista’s release date.


Speaking at a forum in South Africa the retiring head was forced to admit additional testing means there is now an “80 per cent chance” of Vista hitting its January launch. Industry cynic that I am I’d call that a 20 per cent chance of delay which in Microsoftian terms mean a 99.9 per cent chance they’ll ‘stretch’ it first to February then ‘ease’ it into late March.

Of course Billy went on to prattle about how his company would take no risks with the last OS he will see at the helm which again means: we’re running late. He said costs for developing Vista and the similarly much delayed Office 2007 suite would total around $9bn by their completion ”in 2009” (I made that last bit up).

What WG failed to explain of course is how a next generation operating system shorn of the vast majority of its original innovations such as WinFS possibly run so wildly out of control? It’s like me saying I’m going to clean my flat over the weekend, then changing that to vacuuming the bedroom carpet, then just sticking to the dishes, then simply licking a plate clean of its chocolate sauce before saying “Monday? Already?! Well, I dunno… I was so pushed for time.”

Microsoft UK

Unlike other sites, we thoroughly review everything we recommend, using industry standard tests to evaluate products. We’ll always tell you what we find. We may get a commission if you buy via our price links. Tell us what you think – email the Editor