The long-awaited Blade Runner sequel arrives later this year in the shape of Blade Runner 2049. Here’s everything you need to know, including the Blade Runner 2049 release date, cast, plot, and trailers.
Blade Runner 2049: The latest news
Prolific composer Hans Zimmer has been brought on-board to assist with composing duties. He joins Arrival composer Jóhann Jóhannsson who has been working on the score thus far, along with another new addition, Benjamin Wallfisch (Hidden Figures).
As Studio Ciné Live (via Entertainment.ie) reports, director Denis Villeneuve says the composers are being brought in to help flesh out the score, rather than replace Jóhannsson: “It’s hard to get to Vangelis’ angle. We have Johann’s breathtaking atmospheric sounds, but I needed other things, and Hans helped us.”
Jóhannsson has previously worked with Villeneuve on Sicario and Arrival, while Zimmer and Wallfisch have recently produced the score for Christopher Nolan’s WWII epic Dunkirk.
Blade Runner 2049 Plot: What is the storyline for Blade Runner sequel?
The Blade Runner film franchise is actually based on a science fiction novel called ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?’. Written by Philip K. Dick and first published in 1968, the story is set in a dystopian world where the Earth is suffering from the fallout of a massive nuclear war. The protagonist is Rick Deckard, a bounty hunter on the San Francisco police force who’s tasked with retiring (read: killing) androids.
The book was adapted into a 1982 feature film by Ridley Scott, with Harrison Ford starring in the role of Deckard. In the Blade Runner movie, the setting is post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, but Deckard’s job as a ‘blade runner’ remains largely the same.
In Blade Runner 2049, the story focuses on a new blade runner called Officer K, who is played by Ryan Gosling. The events in the movie take place 30 years after Rick Deckard disappeared, and follows Officer K as he discovers a dark secret that threatens humanity.
Related: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Here’s who’s working on the project:
- Director: Denis Villeneuve
- Producers: Andrew A. Kosove, Broderick Johnson, Bud Yorkin, Cynthia Yorkin
- Production Company: Alcon Entertainment, Thunderbird Entertainment, Scott Free Productions
- Distributor: Warner Bros Pictures, Columbia Pictures
- Screenplay: Hampton Fancher, Michael Green
- Starring: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford
- CInematography: Roger Deakins
- Editing: Joe Walker
Blade Runner 2049 Release Date: When does Blade Runner 2049 release in UK?
Blade Runner 2049 will be released in cinemas in both the UK and USA on October 6, 2017.
Alcon Entertainment has partnered with Facebook’s Oculus VR to distribute a VR version of the movie to launch alongside the October theatrical release. The Blade Runner 2049 movie will also be available in IMAX theatres.
Related: Game of Thrones Season 7
Blade Runner 2049 Cast: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford and more
One of the most exciting Blade Runner 2049 announcements was that Harrison Ford would be reprising his role as Rick Deckard, now a former Blade Runner who disappeared three decades ago.
Here’s the main cast list:
- Ryan Gosling (The Notebook, La La Land)
- Harrison Ford (Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones)
- Ana de Armas (Knock Knock, War Dogs)
- Mackenzie Davis (Black Mirror, The Martian)
- Sylvia Hoeks (Duska, The Best Offer)
- Lennie James (The Walking Dead, Line of Duty)
- Carla Juri (Wetlands, FInsterworld)
- Robin Wright (House of Cards, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Forrest Gump)
- Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy, Spectre)
- Jared Leto (Fight Club, Suicide Squad)
- Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica, Miami Vice)
- Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips, Eye in the Sky)
- Hiam Abbass (The Visitor, Exodus: Gods and Kings)
- David Dastmalchian (The Dark Knight, Prisoners)
Blade Runner 2049 Trailer: All the teasers and trailers
Here’s the official teaser trailer for Blade Runner 2049:
And here’s the first official trailer:
Blade Runner 2049 Images: Official press shots from the movie
Here are a selection of official images from the Blade Runner 2049 movie:
Related: Best TV
What are you hoping to see from Blade Runner 2049? Let us know in the comments.