Also blocks third party apps to forbid re-unlocking, but at least there's no bricking.
Apple warned us but we didn’t believe it…
Late yesterday evening Cupertino released the much hyped major iPhone v1.1.1 patch which adds:
• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
• Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
• Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
• Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
• Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
• Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
• Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
• Support for TV Out
• Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
• New Passcode lock time intervals
• Adjustable alert volume
Problem is, it also relocks all unlocked iPhones ”and” blocks all third party apps meaning previously successful tools like anySim and iPhone Sim Free are rendered useless – at least until new workarounds are discovered. This could be some time however as, in the words of Dev Team – the anySIM programmers “Firmware 1.1.1. relocks (the) iPhone properly”.
In the meantime all unlocked iPhones which install the v1.1.1 patch are returning to the ‘Incorrect SIM’ onscreen message following the mandatory reboot.
This is one heck of a ballsy move by Apple which does warn during the update:
”WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone’s software. IF YOU HAVE MODIFIED YOUR iPHONE’S SOFTWARE, APPLYING THIS SOFTWARE UPDATE MAY RESULT IN YOUR iPHONE BECOMING PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE. Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone’s warranty.”
So the question for the next few weeks is: would you rather have the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store or phone functionality? If the later, go buy a touch…
Speaking of which – snappy continuity link – Apple’s newest flagship iPod goes on sale today. Please keep all fights clean (no rabbit punches, no eye gouging, no hair pulling) while you queue…
iPhone Update Page