YouTube Red was a short lived paid subscription service that was similar to Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. It offers a number of exclusive features for users who pay.
In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about YouTube Red including what features it had and how it compared to other similar services like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
When did YouTube Red launch?
YouTube Red launched back in October 2014. It was originally called the YouTube Red Original Service and offered initial access to five original shows, including “Cobra Kai” and “Scare PewDiePie.” It was later rebranded as the YouTube Red subscription service.
In 2017, Google introduced YouTube Premium, a new service that combines YouTube Red with YouTube Music. It launched in the US in April, with other countries following suit. The new service is a competitor to other paid streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
What was YouTube Red?
YouTube Red is currently only available in the US and Australia. It was available either as a monthly subscription or an annual subscription. The monthly subscription cost $9.99 and the annual subscription is $119.88. There was also a family plan for up to six people that costs $15.00 per month.
YouTube Red offered some exclusive features for its users, including offline access, original shows, and an ad-free experience. Users get six original shows per month for free, and then an additional three shows for a $9.99 monthly subscription. It also offered YouTube Music, a music streaming service that costs $9.99 monthly. All these features were available for both the monthly and annual subscriptions, while the family plan provides access to everything.
Sign up to Amazon Prime
Want to enjoy free next-day delivery and access to Prime Video? You can sign up to a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime right now.
- Cancel any time
- 30-day free trial
What was included in YouTube Red?
- Offline Viewing – In some countries, YouTube Red provided a feature that allowed users to watch videos when you don’t have internet access.
- Original Shows – YouTube Red users got six original shows each month for free. Additional shows cost $9.99 a month.
- Music – YouTube Red users got access to Google’s music streaming service, YouTube Music.
- YouTube Gaming – YouTube Gaming offers access to a variety of gaming-related content. It includes original shows, live gaming events, original movies, and gaming-related music.
- YouTube Kids – YouTube Kids is a separate app that provides age-appropriate content without ads. It’s available in the app store for Android devices.
- YouTube at School – YouTube at School lets teachers use the app on their students’ devices. The app is free to use by teachers in the US.