IMPORTANT - Please read the following page carefully
THIS MONTH'S THEME
2009 is going to be an important year, bringing many changes all around the world. To reflect this, our first theme of the year is the suitably potentious ENDS AND BEGINNINGS.
You are free to interpret this theme in any way you want, but do at least try to follow it, so that we're all reading from the same page. Every month one or two entries completely miss the theme because some people don't bother to read from this page at all. Photos that don't show some effort to follow the theme stand no chance of winning no matter how good they are. Also we are still getting a number of entries that aren't labelled correctly. Please remeber to put your name in the filename of the picture you are sending in, otherwise it may get lost. You can't win if we can't identify your photo.
Entries for this month's competition should arrive no later than JANUARY 31ST 2009.
ABOUT YOUR PHOTO
Simply send us ONE (and only one) photograph which you think best captures the theme for the month. The photograph must be wholly your own work, and you must legally hold the copyright to it. Anyone caught stealing images from other sources will be instantly disqualified and banned from entering future competitions.
Images must be submitted in JPEG format, and must be at least 600 pixels wide, and the total file size must be no larger than 3.0 megabytes.
You can edit, improve or alter your photo in any way you like. Composite images made using an image editing program are acceptable, as long as they are made predominantly from photographs, and that all parts of the image are wholly your own work. Due to the size limitations it's a good idea to avoid wide frames or borders, and very wide panoramic pictures seldom look good when reduced to a width of 600 pixels. Please don't put copyright watermarks or other identifying marks on the photo, although you may add them into the EXIF data if you wish. Don't worry; we won't steal your work!
HOW TO ENTER
When you've got a nice picture ready to send, here's what you need to do:
- Save your picture in JPEG format.
- Make sure your picture is at least 600 pixels wide, but less than 3MB.
- Re-name the image file to your name with an underscore between first and second names, such as "Joe_Bloggs.jpg" for example.
- Start a new email to email@example.com
- Put the words "Ends and beginnings" in the subject line of the email.
- In the body text of the email, put your postal address, what type of memory card you'd like to receive (SD, CompactFlash etc.), and a daytime contact telephone number. This is very important; you can't receive a prize if we don't know where to send it, and the company sending out the prizes needs the phone number so that they can contact you to arrange delivery. Don't worry, I hate telemarketers just as much as you do and I promise not to give them your number.
- If you could give a brief description of your photo, just 10-20 words or so, including what kind of camera you used to take it, it would be appreciated, although this is not essential and your photo will not be marked down if you don't do this. It just makes the results page a bit more interesting.
- Add your competition photo as an attachment to your email and send it in.
If you want to discuss the competition, or have any questions about the rules or how to enter, follow the link below to the forum page, or feel free to ask questions in the comments section on the next page.
We reserve the right to publish a selection of the best entries in the competition results update a few days after the closing date, but all other rights remain with the photographer, and despite what you may have read on some poorly researched and frankly rather insulting websites, you have my word that we will not use your pictures for any other purpose without your explicit permission.
Forum thread: TR Forum