August was another busy month for our ongoing digital photography competition, with another huge batch of submissions from all over the world. I think it's fair to say that the quality this month was a lot more variable than in July, but there were still a lot of excellent photos to choose from, so we'll be judging those over the next few days and will announce the results soon. In the meantime I'd like to announce the theme for the next round.
NEW! More and bigger prizes!
Just to recap in case you missed it last month, we are running a regular monthly photography competition that will give you the chance to show off your best photos, and to win some very nice prizes. Each month we'll announce a new theme and a closing date, and then you'll have one month to submit a photo on that theme. Starting this month, we will now be offering prizes not just for the overall winner, but also for the two runners-up.
The first prize will be a top-quality 2GB Optima memory card from PNY Technologies, and a Â£50 voucher from online printing specialists Photobox, which you can spend on a range of printing services, as well as stylish albums and other photography gifts. The two runners up will each receive a 1GB PNY Optima memory card and a Â£25 Photobox voucher. The winning entries and a selection of the best of the other entries will be published here on TrustedReviews shortly after the closing date.
But that's not all! At the end of the year, which will be May 2008, we'll have the grand final, which will be an especially challenging assignment. Thanks to Fujifilm, the winner of the final will receive the awesome Finepix S9600, our highest-scoring review camera ever!*
IMPORTANT - How to enter - Read carefully
Simply send us one photograph which you think best captures the theme for the month. The photograph must be your own work, and you must legally hold the copyright to it (so no copying photos out of magazines or nicking them from other websites!). So as to level the playing field a bit and not hand an overwhelming advantage to those of you with digital SLRs, and also to prevent our email system from exploding, the image file size may be no larger than 3.0 megabytes, although I would like to see pictures that are at least 800 pixels wide. You can edit, improve or alter your photo in any way you like.
When you've got a nice picture ready to send, here's what you need to do:
* Make sure your picture is at least 800 pixels wide, but less than 3MB.
* Re-name the image file to your name with an underscore between first and second names, so it's "Joe_Bloggs.jpg"
* Start a new email, to email@example.com.
* Put the words "Life in the City" in the subject line of the email.
* In the body text of the email, put your postal address, and what type of memory card you'd like to receive (SD, CompactFlash etc.). This is very important; you can't receive a prize if we don't know where to send it.
* Add your competition photo as an attachment to this email.
* And finally the most important bit; click "Send".
If you want to discuss the competition, or have any questions about the rules or how to enter, follow the link below to the forum page.
This month's theme
Your theme for the month of September is LIFE IN THE CITY. This is the THEME for the competition, so please try to follow it. Every month at least ten percent of the entries completely miss the theme, and therefore stand no chance of winning, no matter how good they are.
Entries for this month's competition should arrive no later than September 30th 2007, so you've got a month from today to get snapping.
* In the event that the S9600 has been replaced in Fuji's model range by May next year, Fuji has agreed to provide its successor (which is also sure to be a great camera) as a prize instead.
Forum thread: TR forum