WWE 2K18 release date, roster, gameplay, wishlist and all the latest news
Last year’s WWE outing was a solid step up for the series, building upon its mechanics with an unbelievably strong roster. Of course, there’s always room for betterment.
WWE 2K18 could still do plenty to refine and innovate upon the existing formula. And now, we finally have a cover star and release date.
TrustedReviews has put together our personal wishlist for WWE 2K18 alongside all the latest news including trailers, gameplay, preorder info and more. So, be sure to bookmark this page to keep up with all the regular updates!
What is WWE 2K18?
With WrestleMania 33 now well and truly behind us, it’s time to start thinking about what this year’s entry in the fan favourite series will bring to the table. Suplex City mayor Brock Lesnar and returning legend Bill Goldberg dominated 2K17, so we’ll certainly need a new wrestler to act as the cover superstar for the annual bout of spectacular violence. We’d love to see a big current start like Finn Balor, AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakamura standing in the spotlight this year.
Related: Best PS4 Games
WWE 2K18 Release Date – When is it coming out?
In a surprising move, 2K has announced that WWE 2K18 will also be launching Fall 2017 for Nintendo Switch.
Cover star Seth Rollins made the announcement in a special video:
Related: Xbox One X
WWE 2K18 Collector’s Edition – What’s in it?
2K Games has announced the limited edition treatment for WWE 2K18, and it features the man who cannot be seen: John Cena. Celebrating 15 years of the Doctor of Thuganomics, the Cena(Nuff) Edition will compile the following assortment of goodies:
- Copy of the game
- Season Pass
- WWE Legends Batista and Rob Van Dam
- Alternate versions of John Cena and Kurt Angle
- John Cena Figure
- Piece of Wrestlemania 27 ring mat
- Signed print
Supplies are limited to 30,000 units, so hardcore wrestling fans might want to snap this up.
WWE 2K18 Cover star – Who is it?
Seth Rollins has been announced as the official cover star of WWE 2K18. The architect looks awfully menacing on the boxart, which you can check out below:
“In determining who truly represents WWE 2K18 to the fullest extent, there was one obvious answer: Seth Freakin Rollins,” Chris Snyder, 2K Sports’ marketing boss, said in a statement.
Related: Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
You can watch the reveal trailer below:
WWE 2K18 Features – What’s included?
2K has announced the suite of features coming in WWE 2K18 in a press release. Take a look at what’s to come:
· Creation Suite: The Creation Suite gets even deeper, including a new Create-a-Match feature and improvements to Create-a-Superstar, Create-an-Arena and Create-a-Video;
· MyPLAYER: A new MyPLAYER experience introduces fighting styles and a brand new upgrade and progression system;
· MyCAREER: A brand new MyCAREER experience incorporates a new story and a free-roaming backstage area that enable MyPLAYER characters to interact with other WWE Superstars and help direct the narrative;
· Road to Glory Mode Debut: An all-new mode lets players compete against others, using their MyPLAYER characters, in a quest to qualify for WWE pay-per-view events;
· New Graphics Engine: New visuals deliver spectacular new lighting, more realistic skin and new camera effects;
· New Commentary Team: Introducing the trio of Michael Cole, Byron Saxton and Corey Graves;
· Core Gameplay Additions and Improvements: A host of additional improvements will make WWE 2K18 the most comprehensive and realistic WWE game to date.
WWE 2K18 Pre-order DLC – Any special exclusives?
Yes! Much like last year, pre-ordering WWE 2K18 will grant you access to an exclusive playable superstar. This year it’s Kurt Angle. The WWE Hall of Famer and Raw general manager starred in the following announcement trailer:
WWE 2K18 Nintendo Switch – Is it the same as PS4 and Xbox One?
With the Nintendo Switch lacking the raw horsepower of its contemporaries, it doesn’t have quite the same feature set as the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game.
It does, however, feature the MyCAREER mode, customisation suite, and full roster. But unfortunately, based on the press release, it will lack the new graphics engine and Road to Glory mode.
WWE 2K18 Wishlist – What we want to see
A more satisfying career mode
Working your way from the WWE performance centre all the way to the WrestleMania main event was a satisfying yet arduous task in past career modes. Unfortunately hampered by the fact that creating custom wrestlers was a painfully slow experience thanks to constant loading screens and counter-intuitive menus. We want to see improvements to career with wider match types, better feuds and the addition of dialogue options to give your virtual fighter a meaningful personality beyond their stoic appearance.
Related: FIFA 18 vs PES 2018
Plenty of different eras
Speaking of variety, it’d be amazing if the career mode gave us the opportunity to relive classic time periods from World Wrestling Entertainment. The Golden Age, Attitude, Ruthless Aggression and more could be retrofitted into a variety of gameplay variants. WWE 2K17’s playable roster already had enough athletes to fit such a historic feature, and it’d no doubt infatuate old-school fans looking to relive their wrestling memories.
Related: Best Fighting Games
What’s on your wishlist for WWE 2K18? Let us know in the comments.