In a bid to retain customers, Sky has launched a new loyalty programme – Sky VIP – that rewards you based on the length of time you’ve been a customer.
What is Sky VIP?
The UK’s broadband and TV markets are increasingly competitive, and with service providers often advertising brilliant switchover offers, it’s difficult to keep existing customers on side. That’s why Sky has launched Sky VIP, a new tenure-based loyalty programme that will generate rewards for subscribers that improve over time.
Speaking about the news, Stephen Van Rooyen, Sky’s UK CEO, said: “Sky has always been a customer-led company and the launch of Sky VIP is about putting our existing customers first and showing we value their loyalty. This isn’t about tactical deals or collecting points – it’s about offering genuine experiences and benefits we know our customers value and which only Sky can offer.”
‘That’s why we are gathering every single ticket that we have from our sports partners and giving them to our customers, alongside free tickets to exclusive film previews and money-can’t-buy experiences. And for our most loyal customers, who we know want the latest kit and best possible service, we’ll be offering access to our best technology as well as priority customer service.”
Rooyen added that Sky VIP would “keep expanding”, and that we’d see more benefits and rewards added in the coming months.
Related: 10 reasons to upgrade to Sky Q
Sky VIP Tier System: How does it work?
The Sky VIP programme lives inside the My Sky app, and will give you personalised access to your loyalty scheme. To join Sky VIP, you’ll need to download the app, whereby you’ll be greet by a range of possible rewards.
You’ll also be able to access a free ‘Welcome Gift’ of a Sky Store movie, as well as finding our your membership tier.
Here are the four tiers, and included rewards:
Sky VIP Silver: 0 – 3 years
- A free Welcome Gift of a Sky Store Buy & Keep movie.
- Money-can’t-buy experiences, including exclusive prize draws and free VIP tickets to events across the country from sports fixtures, cinema previews, and special events.
Sky VIP Gold: 3 – 8 years
- Free Sky Go Extra, so you can download your favourite Sky shows to watch when and where you want.
- Sky Atlantic VIP – a new channel where you can watch some of Sky Atlantic’s new shows 24 hours before anyone else, including Sky Original productions, HBO and Showtime series (excludes live or simulcast shows)
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
Sky VIP Platinum: 8 – 15 years
- Free Sky Fibre set-up to enjoy superfast Sky Fibre broadband.
- Mobile Piggy Bank Boost, enjoy a free data boost to your Sky Mobile data piggy bank (available from September)
Sky VIP Black: 15+ years
- Free Sky Q set-up, so you can enjoy Sky’s most advanced TV experience ever.
- Priority Service with a dedicated phone number so you can avoid queueing on the phone and speak to a special Sky VIP advisor.
Sky VIP: Is it a good idea?
It’s hard to knock free customer rewards, especially when it’s typically new customers that only receive such perks.
If you’re an existing Sky customer then this is great news, because you’re effectively getting a major boost to your offering, without having to pay more.
And some of the perks on offer will almost certainly woo customers over from rival services too. Highlights include the Sky Atlantic VIP channel that let’s you view premium content early, and the Priority Service that gives you access to special Sky advisors when you need assistance.
“Broadband and TV providers have traditionally only offered the crèmè de la crèmè of bonus perks and special deals to new customers, so it’s really encouraging to see Sky going that extra mile to reward existing customers for sticking by them,” said Ewan Taylor-Gibson, telecoms expert at uSwitch, in a statement sent to Trusted Reviews.
He continued: “Last year TalkTalk extended its ‘new customer’ deals to its existing customers, we’d hope to see other providers in the space follow suit with similar promotions to say thank you to their loyal customer base.”
“This move truly acknowledges those long-standing customers – and will leave other providers fighting harder than ever to win them over,” Taylor-Gibson added.
Related: Best TV
What do you think of Sky VIP? Would it affect your future TV and broadband purchasing decisions? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter.