Home / News / Mobile Phone News / Samsung Galaxy S4 catches fire while charging overnight

Samsung Galaxy S4 catches fire while charging overnight

Luke Johnson

by

Samsung Galaxy S4 Fire
Samsung Galaxy S4 Fire

A Samsung Galaxy S4 has reportedly burst into flames whilst set to charge, an incident that rises potential safety concerns around the Android 4.2.2 handset.

Something of an isolated incident more than a widespread issue, a Samsung Galaxy S4 owner based in Abu Dhabi has claimed that her iPhone 5 and HTC One rivalling handset caught fire without warning whilst plugged in to charge overnight.

“I cannot explain to you my extreme frustration, disappointment and extreme fear when I found my brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 burning at the charger connection to the phone,” phone owner Sarah Shurrub said in a correspondence to Samsung following the incident.

Describing the incident which took place late last month, less than a month after the S4 in question had been purchased, Shurrub added: “The phone was found burning, while charging. It’s only thanks to God that I woke up in the middle of the night and controlled the burning before it could cause damage to my home and family.”

Not quite a case of negligence on the owner’s part, the dangerous S4 had reportedly only been charging for a matter of hours when it combusted. “I woke up in the middle of the night to [attend to] my toddler, and it was about 2am at night. I think it was charging for about 3 hours by then,” the phone’s owner said.

While it is unclear as to the cause of the S4 started fire, Shurrub has suggested that Samsung has looked to amend the issue with the promise of free phones.

“It was agreed that they would replace [my burnt Galaxy S4] with a new phone, the flip cover that got burnt and as compensation, they will give me another brand new Samsung S4, though they don’t have a compensation policy and this is purely as an exception,” she wrote.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is one of the most popular smartphones on the market right now, with more than 20 million units of the 1.9GHz quad-core brimmed device shipping globally during the phones first two months on sale.

It runs a 13-megapixel rear-mounted camera and pairs a raft of premium hardware features with a collection of innovative software additions, including the eye-tracking Smart Pause and Smart Scroll.

Read More: Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom review

Via: Emirates24/7

Eugene Kirk

August 25, 2013, 8:59 pm

This happened as you said word for word to me sept I was in majorca

Dawn Nelson Sage

September 6, 2013, 4:04 pm

I had almost the same issue a couple of days ago with my Samsung Galaxy S4, but thankfully my phone didn't catch on fire.

Emon

October 16, 2013, 9:56 am

I allso had the same problem where the charging point caught fire and phone died very disapointing.

Christine Marshall

October 27, 2013, 7:38 pm

My daughter was woken up last night by her brother coming home, when she picked up her samsung phone to see the time she burn't her fingers. Her phone had started to burn like the one in your picture, Thank god she was woken from her sleep with her 2 year old daughter. Something needs to be done before some one is killed

rachael

October 27, 2013, 8:44 pm

This happened to me last night. I was awaken by my drunken brother coming home from a night out. I grabbed my phone to see what time it was and burnt my hand. My pics of the handset are pretty much identical to this.

Roler

November 28, 2013, 5:46 pm

What would be interesting to know is how many with burnt phones ever cleaned their charger port from pocket lint

John Doe

February 16, 2014, 6:01 am

This is definitely an accident that can be avoided! How? Never leave your phone unattended while charging, because we can't ignore that the chargers from the top Galaxy phones are from 2 amps. In other words the current that they send is dangerously high because is intended to minimize charge times.

Sunny Bond

June 7, 2014, 10:39 pm

This is what happened on Sunday 09/03/2014 at approximately 12:30 am I put my Samsung S4 on charge as normal. The alarm was set for 04:30am ready for work on Monday. At 04:30am when the alarm sounded I smelt something burning as I got up to turn off the alarm it was then I noticed how hot the S4 was and the charging cable was stuck inside I turned off the charger at the mains and pulled out the charging cable which then reviled the devastating effect of the S4 burning. Seeing this happen was something you always hope doesn't happen to yourself If the alarm was not set as it could of happened over the weekend things would of been a lot different.

Me and wife are re-thinking how to make things different in the future as we sleep with our kids we would not want any harm to happen to them.

It's been very distressing as you can imagine and a lot has changed we only charge our phones when were awake now and where we can see our phone.

But on the back of our minds I guess were always going to be over cautious as we can't trust the technology these days. It has ever since put alot of strain on us as we really need to know how it all occurred.

My kids are only very young and just to think if this was to happen over a weekend I don't really think we would be here today.

I have had nightmares if things were different & the length I would of gone through to save my two children and my wife.

I really really can't say much else as i'm already in tears writing this e-mailing to yourself and bringing back memories on that Monday morning.

I've also posted a video on YouTube which has gained over 1000 views to share my experience with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Sanjay Thukral
Civil Servant

comments powered by Disqus