Press Play has announced its next game is called Project: Knoxville, and it’s a third-person, multiplayer game.
Earlier this year, Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood developer Press Play allowed gamers to vote on what its next title would be.
And the results are in and Project: Knoxville is the top pick.
Project: Knoxville is a third-person, multiplayer action game that’s inspired by movies such as The Running Man and The Hunger Games.
Press Play states the game “deals with fragile alliances and survival, in a game show setting”. Apparently, players will need to work together to win a “sadistic game show”.
“All of the contestants can survive if they work together and don’t let greed or personal game get the best of them,” Press Play says. “With this game, we aim to go further than anyone else when it comes to dynamic relationships and spectator interaction.”
Related: Best Xbox One Games 2015
Here’s what Press Play states will be the main features of the game:
- Dynamic relationships: This is a very unique feature that enables players to make alliances and friends easily while keeping the players immersed in the game world. The approach is to make the game characters intelligent and context-aware while at the same time making the players able to influence them. This is designed to work without voice-chat.
- Spectator interaction: As in any good game show, we want the audience to be able to influence the game in as many interesting ways as possible. Ranging from ideas such as sponsoring, betting (with in-game currency of course), and large-scale events.
- Dynamic and diverse game show arenas: The game show setting means everything from arenas to game show rules can and will be changed over time to be optimized for the best possible entertainment for both the players and the spectators.
- Afterlife mechanic: This feature ensures an interesting game after your contestant dies as well as a deeper consideration of your actions. When people die, they will be able influence the game for the remaining players. An example could be to spawn a wolf next to the person who killed you. In this way, you can get back at those who wronged you and help your friends out.
- Intense high-stakes combat: Fighting is intuitive and skill-based. The scenarios are filled with dangerous creatures and fighting is necessary to survive. Weapons are sparse, but can be found scattered around the scenarios. The desperate fight for survival will often result in contestants fighting each other. Fights will be gritty and swift and almost always conclude with the death of either a contestant or a creature.
- Upgrade system: Our ambition is to build a rich meta-game around upgrading the contestant characters. Players need to care about their contestants and contestants that are doing well should build up their fame and reputation.
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox