Home / News / Mobile Phone News / OnePlus co-founder wants to be a Samsung intern

OnePlus co-founder wants to be a Samsung intern

by

Carl Pei
Carl Pei, OnePlus co-founder

We’ve had some strange stories pass across the TrustedReviews news desk, but this one’s a real head-scratcher.

The co-founder of Chinese smartphone firm OnePlus has offered his services to Samsung as an intern.

Carl Pei, who currently works as OnePlus’ global director, reached out to the South Korean tech giant in a post on his personal blog.

“Samsung, today I have a proposal for you: let me be your intern. Seriously,” writes Pei.

He continues: “I would be honoured to learn from your team about how you’ve been able to scale, run, and manage your business so successfully.”

Pei notes that he doesn’t want the deal to be a one-way affair though, and is happy to offer his own guidance to the multinational tech giant.

“In turn, I would be happy to share what we’ve learned about how to engage with our community and implement their feedback to deliver a better user experience,” says the OnePlus co-founder.

Pei then proposes an “intern swap” whereby OnePlus would host “one of [Samsung’s] own executives”.

“Although our histories couldn’t be more different, we’ve both gained a world of unique insight into this industry and how to succeed,” explains Pei. “Sharing these lessons with each other would make us better companies, and ultimately better for the consumers buying our devices.”

The OnePlus director also used the post as an opportunity to wax lyrical about the successes of Samsung.

“Samsung was founded 77 years ago. Running a company that does so well, for so long, with such a wide range of products is an astounding feat by any measure,” says Pei. “They’ve shipped hundreds of millions of phones around the globe through a multitude of sales channels; you can’t help but admire their operations.”

SEE ALSO: OnePlus 2 vs Samsung Galaxy S6

It’s no big surprise that Pei is looking to other companies for inspiration on how to better run OnePlus' operations.

Earlier this month, the company apologised for its bodged launch of the company’s second-ever smartphone – the OnePlus 2.

At the time, Pei said: “To our fans, sorry. We were equally excited when we saw your excitement around the OnePlus 2. We know how it feels waiting and waiting for something you really want, while being given ETAs that go unfulfilled.”

He added: “We like to think that what we lack in experience can be made up for in hard work and invested hours, but this time that was not the case. This delay has brought huge opportunity cost upon our OnePlus. It has shortened the product lifecycle of the OnePlus 2, as well as caused huge reputational damage to our company.”

OnePlus also struggled to successfully roll out its first handset, the OnePlus One, which launched back in 2014.

What do you make of Pei’s latest comments? Let us know in the comments.

Check out our smartphone buyer’s video guide below:

Dead Words

September 30, 2015, 8:53 pm

Could be beneficial for the company.

ConceptVBS

October 1, 2015, 5:36 am

Samsung gains nothing.

comments powered by Disqus