Home / News / Nintendo News / Nintendo: The NX will not be another Wii or Wii U

Nintendo: The NX will not be another Wii or Wii U

by

Wii U Basic

The new president of Nintendo has assured the company’s next console will not be a sequel to the Wii range.

Speaking to TIME, the new president and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima, says gamers can expect something “unique and different” ahead of the 2016 reveal.

Kimishima, who recently took over the reins from the legendary late Satoru Iwata, says the firm is moving away from the platform in order to broaden its appeal.

See also: Nintendo NX: What we'd like to see

He said: “I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U.

[NX] is something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal.”

The new console is expected to be unveiled sometime in 2016, with the E3 gaming expo next June, the likely location.

Recent reports have suggested it’ll combine home and mobile elements, allowing gamers to play at home or on the go.

Meanwhile, with regards to the firm’s recent expansion into mobile gaming, Kimishima believes there’s work to be done ahead of the launch of Miitomo next March.

“I don’t think we have been able to successfully communicate what we’re trying to do [with Miitomo] at this point,” he added.

Do you feel positively about the future of Nintendo in the post-Iwata era? What are your hopes for the NX? Share your thoughts below.

Gareth Burleigh

December 3, 2015, 9:06 pm

I wish Nintendo every success. They are the last of the original giants and yes although they are very bullheaded they constantly innovate and take risks.

After GameCube I didn't have another Nintendo console in the house until my daughter wanted a 3DS from Santa last year. I'd forgotten the true genius that is a Nintendo game and before the New Year was in I went and bought a Wii U for us to play on.

Long live Nintendo

comments powered by Disqus