Home / News / Gadget News / Nest Protect unveiled as connected smoke and CO detector

Nest Protect unveiled as connected smoke and CO detector

Luke Johnson

by

Nest Protect
Nest Protect

Nest has expanded its range of smarter home devices, with the Nest Protect officially unveiled as an intelligent smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

Brining your home into the 21st century, the Nest Protect follows on from the energy saving Nest Thermostat, and offers Wi-Fi and app connected protection against smoke and carbon monoxide damage.

“Safety shouldn’t be annoying,” Matt Rogers, Nest’s Vice President of Engineering stated. “It was unacceptable to us that one in eight houses in the UK have a non-functioning smoke alarm. These products are required by law and are supposed to keep us safe, yet people hate them. We wanted to change that, so we created Nest Protect: Smoke Carbon Monoxide.”

Nest Protect Features

More than your standard smoke alarm, the Nest Protect offers security against smoke, carbon monoxide and heat emergencies, as well as playing host to an array of integrated LED lights which can act as a motion-sensitive pathlight during evening hours.

Ridding you of those false alarms and irritating beeps, the Nest Protect benefits from a ‘heads-up’ feature which will give a vocal alert to rising smoke or CO levels which have not yet reached emergency levels.

What’s more, if triggered by the likes of a burnt slice of toast or an overly steamy shower, the Nest Protect will not require you to hard reset the device. Instead, inbuilt motion sensors let you simply wave at the device to let it know everything is ok and the alarms can be stopped.

With multiple Nest Protect sensors in the same property able to communicate between each other to give you more accurate emergency alerts, the detector can be connected to your Wi-Fi network, with a downloadable iOS and Android app relaying alarm notifications, battery levels and sensor statuses.

Offering a final layer of protection, and again taking some of the irritation out of standard alarms, the Nest Protect offers a nightly promise, letting you know that sensors are clean and battery levels are high enough to get you through the evening without unnecessary distraction.

Nest Protect Release Date and Price

Set to be available in both white and black colour schemes to fit in with your home’s styling, Nest Protect release date has been set for November. The sensor is to be made available in two forms, a battery powered option and a 230V cabled version.

Far from cheap, the Nest Protect price has been confirmed at £109. With both iterations to set wannabe owners back the same amount, the futuristic smoke and CO detector is to be made available through Apple stores, Amazon and John Lewis.

“Representing the very latest in connected devices, the Nest Protect is helping to set a new standard in what technology is capable of within the home," Ed Connolly, Buying Director for Electricals and Home Technology at John Lewis said of the device. "Wireless home automation is more accessible to the consumer than ever before and a trend we are seeing an increasing demand for, with sales of related products at John Lewis up by 156 per cent since the same period last year. It’s a category we expect to see significant growth in in 2014.”

Read More: Best Toasters

Alex Walsh

October 8, 2013, 2:53 pm

We have 10 smoke detectors and a CO detector in our house. Can't think I'm going to fork out over a grand to replace them with NESTs any time soon :-/

Universal PCB`s

December 18, 2013, 3:42 pm

This has to be seen as one of the greatest technical innovations of recent years so far as Home Safety,in relation to Gas Heating,is concerned....We at UniversalPCB`s will look into incorporating it into our scheme of things, by having your alarms send a message to our Universal PC Board, instructing it to "Shut off the GAS SUPPLY"( The Ultimate Failsafe), Thankyou "Nest", for doing 99% of the job for us, and leaving us just 1% or so to achieve this....I can imagine,Local Authority,Dwellings,& Care Homes all over the UK fitting your Nest Alarms, as Local Authorities try,to honour their obligations under "Duty of Care",legislation , to avoid claims that they were negligent in this area, in not fitting "The Best"..safety devices available.

comments powered by Disqus