BlackBerry maker, RIM just can’t seem to catch a break at the moment and the two latest incidents involving the Canadian company will only add to the company’s woes.
With the company’s PlayBook costing it billions in lost revenue, a worldwide service outage enraging users and even staff openly complaining about the direction and leadership at the company, RIM didn’t need any more bad news. But it's got it.
On the face of it, thousands of people queuing up for hours to get their hands on a new BlackBerry would seem like encouraging news for the beleaguered handset maker, but the ensuing chaos causing dozens of injuries has lead to an RIM executive being treated as a suspect.
The incident occurred in Indonesia a couple of weeks ago when RIM launched the BlackBerry Bold 9790 and promised the first 1,000 customers a half-price handset. Thousands queued from midnight but things got out of hand and many people sustained injuries.
Reuters are now claiming that Andrew Cobham, RIM’s Indonesia CEO has been banned from travelling and could face charges of negligence – with a maximum penalty of nine months in prison.
But Mr. Cobham is not the only RIM employee in trouble, with two other executives this week pleading guilty to ‘mischief’ which led to an Air Canada flight to Beijing being forced to turn around and return to Vancouver.
The two executives, George Campbell and Paul A Wilson, pleaded guilty in court and received suspended sentences as well as fines of over C$35,000 following the incident which is said to have been fuelled by alcohol.
However that was not the end of the pain for the pair, as their employer on Monday confirmed they had been fired. “RIM does not condone behaviour that conflicts with applicable laws and employees are expected to act, at all times, with integrity and respect," the company said in a statement.
Not a happy time for RIM then, and will the company struggling to get its next generation QNX software up and running on smartphones, it could be facing an even tougher 2012.