Welcome tweaks but no new features according to the company line.
Little was made of the iPhone at Apple’s (s)Let’s Whimper(/s) Let’s Rock event last week, but the back end of Friday afternoon did at least see the handset’s anticipated 2.1 firmware released to end users…
So what can we expect to see? Well, it is tweaks again primarily according to the official Apple list:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
- Significantly better battery life for most users
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
- Improved performance in text messaging
- Faster loading and searching of contacts
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
That said, the Cupertino based company is known to slide little nuggets of gold in now and again to fuel water cooler talk so have a dig around once you’ve updated.
Cut and paste? Now, now, that’s just foolish talk.
Oh and yes, it’s already jailbroken. If that’s your bag then you know where to look…