Activision is offering PC gamers a chance to sample the online action within Call of Duty: Black Ops III via the Stream store.
For $11.59 ($14.99) gamers can purchase the Multiplayer Starter Pack, which enables them to play through the ranked multi-player game modes only.
The limited time offer also includes additional features such as Weapon Paint Shop, Gunsmith, Arena, Freerun, Theater, and the Black Market, but not much else.
If you want the full experience, including the single-player Campaign mode, you can upgrade to the full version of the game for the £28.40 ($45) balance of the £40 ($60) asking price.
For the Digital Deluxe version, which includes the season pass for DLC content, the upgrade fee will be £58.40 ($85).
The solution will be perfect for those who wish only to indulge in the multi-player battles, rather than embrace the full game experience.
The listing on the Steam Store explains exactly what’s missing from the Starter Pack:
- Zombies game mode
- Campaign game mode
- Ability to play in Multiplayer custom games
- Ability to Prestige (your level will be capped at 55 in the Starter Pack)
- Access to mod tools or modded content (once released)
- Access to unranked server browser (once released)
- Ability to Fresh Start your profile
- The ability to access Dead Ops Arcade II and Nightmares mode.
The Multiplayer Starter Pack can be purchased between now and 29 February.
Could this spell a new era of multi-player content being separated out from full game experiences? Share your thoughts below