Apple has confirmed it will work with authorities to help investigate the death of a Chinese woman who was reportedly electrocuted whilst using her charging iPhone 5.
Speaking this morning, Apple has stated that following the death of Ma Ailun on Thursday, it will look to investigate any faults with the smartphone which could have led to the incident. The company failed to address any potential problems with the iPhone 5.
"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” an official spokesperson for the iPad mini manufacturer stated. “We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."
Ma, a 23-year-old flight attendant with China Southern Airlines who hailed from the western Xinjiang region of China, is said to have died after receiving an electric shock whilst attempting to answer a call on her charging iPhone 5. China’s Xinhua news agency has quote police officers in the region as confirming the reports.
Following the accident, Ma’s sister sent out a Tweet stating the woman had collapsed and died after using her iPhone 5 while it charged. She urged other smartphone owners to be careful when using their own devices. It is not currently known if Ma was using the official Apple charger with her phone or a third party imitation.
The saddening news comes as an Abu Dhabi based woman claims her Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire while on charge.
“I cannot explain to you my extreme frustration, disappointment and extreme fear when I found my brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 burning at the charger connection to the phone,” S4 owner Sarah Shurrub said in a complaint to Samsung following the alleged incident.
She added: “The phone was found burning, while charging. It’s only thanks to God that I woke up in the middle of the night and controlled the burning before it could cause damage to my home and family.”