Apple has issued a statement that confirms that the white iPhone 4 will not be available until later this year.
This contradicts Steve Jobs statement at last week’s iPhone 4 conference that it would ship before the end of July.
The statement simply reads:
“White models of Apple’s new iPhone 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year. The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected.”
Apple is clearly giving nothing away as to the exact cause but earlier this week we reported on suggestions that a supplier was having trouble producing the right paint thickness and opacity for the white iPhone 4.
This latest incident marks another incident in what could be described as an ‘launchus horribilis’ for Apple, at least if one wanted to mangle a well-known Latin phrase.
• A prototype iPhone 4 is lost by an Apple engineer and turns up on gadget website Gizmodo.
• Aerialgate - shortly after the handset goes on sale users report dropped calls and discolouration issues on the Retina display.
• Jobs allegedly replies to an email send to him regarding iPhone reception issues by telling the owner that he is ‘holding it wrong’.
• Apple announces that it has miscalculated the algorithm for how it displays the signal bars.
• Rumours abound that Apple is to issue an iPhone 4 recall
• Apple announces an emergency press conference for 16 July regarding the iPhone – Jobs announces free cases for every iPhone 4 owner.
What else could go wrong now for Apple and the iPhone 4?
Predictions on a postcard please, - or in the comments below. Have fun.
Link: Apple UK