We like the BlackBerry Storm, it may have bizarre omissions like WiFi and divide users over its touchscreen Qwerty keyboard (Andy and I hate it, Riyad loves it) but it remains an impressive handset - if one desperately in need of a firmware upgrade...
So praise be that after much Interweb chitter chatter and two leaked versions of Storm firmware that Vodafone Germany has done the decent thing and made 'OS 18.104.22.168' official and available for download on its site.
Taking a leaf from the Amazon MP3 UK marketing method of absolutely-no-marketing-whatsoever, the site has quietly stuck up the new software without a promotion in sight despite the fact it is reported to be a potentially game changing / sanity returning update for a phone which clearly shipped with half baked firmware (OS 22.214.171.124).
Helpfully Vodafone.de has also included no information about the update either other than it's a .EXE file so will require a PC to run it and that it is a hefty 103MB. Consequently we have no idea whether it is the mooted Maintenance Release - despite the mooted cool OTA delivery method clearly being nonsense - or the planned additional one or both combined, but we can only hope this vast array of fixes remains true:
- If a customer receives a call while listening to music at low volume using a wired headset, the music volume may suddenly increase to the highest level (!). Interim recovery instructions: Lower the volume using the buttons on the side of the handset.
- When using voice-activated dialling, incoming audio may be muted. Interim recovery instructions: Enter the menu and select "Activate Handset or Speaker".
- The handset may reset itself while sitting idle or while using multimedia applications. No interim recovery instructions provided.
- Customers may intermittently lose email connectivity via CDMA and/or international roaming modes. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio off, then Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
- When powering on the handset, the radio sometimes does not turn on. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
- Pressing the send key while the device is in landscape mode will open the phone application in portrait mode, but the speed dial function may not work. Interim recovery instructions: Press escape until the home screen appears, then press the send key with the handset in portrait orientation.
- Sometimes entering characters on the virtual keyboard doesn't work. Interim recovery instructions: Re-select the character.
Update: The Vodafone UK edition of this firmware update (not that there is any difference) can now be downloaded directly from BlackBerry.com. Thanks for the great spot RedDemon.