First launched way back in 1990, TechSmith's SnagIt has accumulated a 7m strong user base and now the screen text and video grabbing software has hit the big v10.0.
Changes this time around a more subtle than the radical overhaul in SnagIt 9, but they are certainly significant:
- All-in-One capture: full screen, region, window or auto-scrolling (vertical and horizontal) areas can now be captured in a single click from a single profile
- Transparency: a significant addition which now works with all PNG file captures
- New text: text which cannot be copied and pasted from websites, error messages, applications and so forth can now be grabbed and their text colour, font style and size edited within SnagIt
- Effects and Customisation: horizontal and vertical page cutting can be applied along with page curling and implemented with transparency
- Screencast: TechSmith's free hosting service has been integrated so both picture and video grabs can be uploaded with a single click and a URL generated to share with others or password protect
Elsewhere other SnagIt favourites like hotspots (retain the hyperlinks from captured web pages or insert new ones), auto cropping, and pop-ups (hotspots for adding in pop-up messages or text) are also present.
Sadly SnagIt has yet to cross the OS X divide, but Windows 7, Vista and XP users are all catered for with single licenses going for £37, upgrades are pretty generous at £18.50 and free 30 day trials are available from the TechSmith website.
SnagIt 10 may be more evolution than revolution, but it remains impossible not to recommend.
Link: SnagIt 10