Pentax UK has issued the following press statement today:
Pentax U.K. has been made aware that a small percentage of the three-pin plug cords provided with some of its cameras may have a manufacturing defect, despite having been supplied to Pentax with full British and European safety accreditation. This recall only applies to specific products sold after the 20th November 2006.
Products potentially affected are:
Customers are being asked to check the plug cords of cameras that fit these criteria. To identify a potentially faulty plug cord, customers should check the rear of the three-pin plug cord by holding it by the end with the three pins and turning the pins to face away from them. If the box containing text says 'Approved BSI KM 45980' they should cease use and contact the Pentax helpline on 0800 2889410 for a replacement cord which will be sent immediately. The helpline will also arrange for the customer to return the recalled cord free of charge.
David Moore, managing director of Pentax U.K. comments, "We apologise for inconvenience caused to our customers whilst we take this precautionary measure. Pentax takes the safety and quality of the products it sells very seriously and it spends a considerable amount of time and effort ensuring that the products it sells meet all relevant regulations and standards."
He continues, "In addition to this, Pentax monitors the performance of the products it has sold very closely to ensure that it identifies and actions any potential issues that may affect their safety, quality or fitness for purpose."
Further information can be found at www.pentax.co.uk/plugcord
If customers have further concerns or wish to speak to Pentax for help with identifying a potential fault they can call a dedicated customer helpline on 0800 2889410.
* So what's the problem and why is a recall taking place?
* Pentax U.K. has been made aware that a small percentage of the three-pin plug cords provided with some of its cameras may have a manufacturing defect, despite having been supplied to Pentax with full British and European safety accreditation. This only applies to specific products sold after 20th November 2006.
* Are you recalling all cameras sold after 20th November 2006?
* No, we are only recalling the plug cord (not the cameras themselves) of affected products.
* Which products sold after 20th November 2006 are affected?
* A small percentage of the plug cords supplied with the following products are deemed to be potentially faulty - Optio A20, Optio T20, Optio W20, Optio S7, Optio L20 and the K10D.
* How do customers tell if their camera plug cord is one of those affected?
* To identify the plug cord in question, ensure it is disconnected from the mains, then check the rear of the 3-pin plug cord. To do this, hold the plug cord by the end with the three pins, turn the pins to face away from you and look for a box containing the text 'Approved BSI KM 45980'.
* What could happen if a faulty product continued to be used?
* A crack could appear in the figure of 8 connector that connects to a battery charger.
* What do customers do next?
* If a customer has an affected plug cord, they should stop using it immediately. The electricity supply should be turned off at the socket before disconnection and they should call the Pentax helpline on Freephone number 0800 2889410 who will send an immediate replacement and make arrangements for plug cord being recalled to be returned to Pentax free of charge.
* Who will pay for the postage?
* Pentax will send customers calling the helpline a postage-paid envelope, along with the replacement cord.
* If customers return their camera and plug cord, will they receive a new camera or full refund?
* The only part of the product that needs to be returned is the plug cord, which will be replaced.
* How long will it take to provide customers with a new plug cord?
* Pentax U.K. is doing everything in its power to cause minimal inconvenience to its customers. We will endeavour to replace faulty plug cords within one week from notification.
* How will customers be compensated?
* Pentax U.K. will cover the cost of the postage as well as replacing the item free of charge.
* Who can customers speak to for further help?
* If customers are unsure of any of the information held within this question and answer sheet, they can call a dedicated helpline on 0800 2889410 which is open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 7pm on Saturday and Sundays.
* Does the recall apply to all Pentax products worldwide?
* No, the only affected products were sold within the UK and Eire.
* Are products currently on shop shelves also affected?
* Pentax U.K. is working with its retail partners to ensure that affected products are removed from sale.
* What is Pentax's track record with the safety of its camera products?
* Pentax has not had to recall a product in its camera range in its known history. The company takes the safety of its customers very seriously and prides itself on producing high quality products that meet both UK and European safety standards.
* How are you notifying consumers about this recall?
* Pentax is running advertisements in the national press and running a comprehensive public relations campaign to raise awareness of this issue. Retailers of Pentax cameras have been notified of the recall situation and been sent a product safety recall notice to display in stores.